Welcome to our family web log! Subscribe by rss feed or email to get the updates. Thanks for stopping by.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Boys Only Weekend

What do guys do when they have the whole weekend to themselves? Well they go camping of course. Spencer, Ben, and I, just got back yesterday form the annual fathers and sons priesthood commemoration camp out.

Somehow, over the last couple of years, Joel Pearlman and I, have elected ourselves as camp organizers. I have always had fond memories of my own past fathers & Sons camp outs, so I enjoy the challenge of putting together an event that matches up to my memories. Just a few days ago my father and I were remembering together our outings the the church campground at Owyhee dam in eastern Oregon. I remember the river, crawdad traps, the huge dam, the "glory hole", and
crappie fishing.

My sons always look forward to our camp outings as well. Here are some of their thoughts about their weekend at Reynolds Creek Campground. What Ben and Spencer liked about the camp this year:
- We found a snake skin that was shed from a King Snake
- I got skittles from Jack's dad (Ben)
- I got to sleep in my tent! (Ben)
- I ate pancakes for breakfast and hot chocolate for dessert
- I had fun with Joey and we played Star Wars with figures
- For the campfire, we sang the german orchestra song, and we were the "bagpippens"
- I liked seeing the waterfall (workman Creek Falls) on the mountain that was tall
We got to go to the top of the mountain (Aztec Peak, see picture below) and we got to see the fire look out tower, and meet the fire ranger. The ranger said that he stands on a rubber mat to keep the lightning from striking him when he is in the tower. He said that when the lighting does strike the tower it makes the air all turn blue! (Spencer)
- For dinner we had hot dogs and chili.
When walked on a trail near a river that had a hermit's home on the side of the river (Spencer)
- In the morning we played tug-of-war, archery and blow darts!
- I got to to ride a ATV! (Ben)
- I got to stay up until midnight! (Spencer)
- We got to see the Tonto National Monument Indian ruins
- There were tons of flies/gnats that bugged us, it was annoying!
- Joey and me saw a chocolate milk cow (Spencer)
- I saw a donkey and a horse come through the grass in our camp.
- We watched tons of Tom and Jerry and the first Loony Tunes cartoons on the ride up and back from the camp out! It made us laugh a lot!

No comments: